Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pecan Pie

I did it! I finally made a pie from scratch!
A resolution of mine this year was to make a pie from scratch and I can gladly say that I completed it and it was super successful and delicious! I added the pie to the Oscar dinner menu and it was a hit. All I can think about it is how awesome this pie was and how I just want more!





To make this completely from scratch, I had to find a good pie crust recipe. The book I snatched that from didn't have a pecan pie recipe, go figure. So, like any normal millennial, I searched Pinterest for one and found this great one from The Great Cook. Total time was a little over 2 hours, including refrigerating the dough and baking. 
Here's the recipe I pieced together:
Pie Crust:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I prefer the unbleached flour)
1 1/4 TSP sea salt
6 TBSP (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
3/4 cup vegetable shortening, chilled and cubed
3/4 cup ice water
  1. Mix flour and salt together in a large bowl
  2. Using 2 forks, cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture looks like coarse meal
  3. Drizzle in the ice water. Stir with a large spoon until the dough begins to clump. 
  4. Transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Using your hands, fold it into itself until the flour is fully incorporated into the fats. The dough should come together easily but should not feel overly sticky.
  5. Divide the dough in half, shape it into two balls, and pat each ball into a 1/2inch thick disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. 

(Note this recipe is for a double crust. You will only need one for this recipe but I put the second in the freezer for pie #2)

Filing:
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or halves
3 eggs
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
3 TBSP salted butter, melted
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 TSP ground cinnamon
1 TSP vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350degree F.
  2. Grease pie pan.
  3. Take out dough from fridge and roll it round to be thin enough to cover the whole pie dish.
  4. In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs. Once beaten, mix in the salted butter, corn syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. **tip: if you grease the measuring cup, it makes it easier to pour
  5. Place pecans on the bottom of the pie crust.
  6. Pour the filling over the pecans. You'll see the pecans float up. 
  7. Bake for 20 minutes. 
  8. Cover aluminum foil around the edges of the pie crust so it doesn't get browned. 
  9. Bake for another 25-30 mins. The middle of the pie should be set once done.

Bake and Enjoy! Wear something with an expandable waist band to take it in! 

Hope you enjoy this as much as me!

No comments:

Post a Comment