Monday, March 3, 2014

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Yesterday may have been the highest rated Oscars ever, but it was also the 110th birthday of Dr. Seuss. His books are an American childhood staple, a timeless treasure. I may have been born in the states, but I didn't read my first Dr. Seuss book till I was an adult. I feel like there are so many great life lessons to take that it's relevant at any age. It's hard to have something appeal to such a wide audience. Take a read at this Huffington Post article  on the lessons you can learn as an adult.
There's a manager in my office that gave his direct reports the book Oh, The Places You'll Go with a personalized note inside as a gift for when they would move on to another bigger and better role within the company. When I had heard this I thought, "Wow, what an awesome and thoughtful gift." When I become a people manager, I hope to remember that gesture and follow in a similar path. I love the idea of a book as opposed to a card, and that's saying a lot since I LOVE CARDS. I did after all work at Papyrus for 2 years after I graduated from high school.
Speaking of that book, I love the image and message so much so I painted the book cover on a canvas as a baby shower gift for my coworker a year ago. I had never painted something like that before but I think it had turned out great. It currently hangs in his son's room. His son, Ben, also celebrated his 1st birthday yesterday! What a cute coincidence, huh? I thought so. I'm excited to be babysitting him soon!
I hope to one day have children and read them all of the Dr. Seuss books. Maybe even have themed rooms or parties; who knows? I may change my mind by then or not. I just know that I'm a fan of the characters, stories, and life lessons. Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss! Thank you for everything!

What's your favorite Dr. Seuss story?

No comments:

Post a Comment