Saturday, July 5, 2014

Pinspiration: Burlap Clutch DIY

Inspired by the stars and stripes, I came across this beautiful burlap print on sale at Joann's the other day and just had to have it. At first, I had no idea what I wanted to do with it. By the time I got to the cutting counter, I decided it would make a great clutch for the 4th of July. Some Pinterest research later, I came across this simple tutorial and gave it a shot. None of my plans to celebrate the 4th came to fruition so I decided to get sewing instead.

Bought a half a yard of printed burlap and a 14in zipper.
I found a scrap of patriotic print at home as well to make an inside liner.
Line and pin to begin then lots of sewing.
Here are the steps I followed to make the clutch:
  1. Cut a piece of burlap and fabric for lining a little wider than your zipper, and double the length of what you wanted your clutch to be. You'll basically be folding over the fabric and sewing the sides.
  2. Iron burlap, fabric, and zipper.
  3. Line and pin the zipper back side up on the edge of the fabric and sew. Do the same on the other side.
  4. Turn the clutch inside out and sew straight lines across both sides.
  5. Flip the clutch over and you're done!
I sewed by hand as I read that sewing burlap with a machine could get it jammed. I totally didn't think about the fold over end within the lining so you see a bit of burlap. Something I won't do next time, obviously.
Not too shabby for my first clutch.

I'll be sporting this clutch all weekend.

This was so easy to make. Will definitely do again with another print. Possible Parisian, holiday, damask, quotes, etc. Possibilities are endless. I might even make these as gifts for the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment