Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Baby Boom - Diaper Cakes DIY

One of the very first things I was told when I started my new position was "Don't drink the water." Thinking it's rather strange, I ignored it till it became a running joke. In my first month alone, I was probably told this a good 15 times. Why? Seems like everyone is pregnant. My division is probably 70% female so the chances of someone pregnant is high, with history of it happening in increments of three.

Two of my lovely coworkers are having their last days in the office next week. A collective group of us decided to throw a dual surprise baby shower. Anything associated with a surprise always has its risks especially in the office when everyone has meetings consuming 90% of their day and people can natural slip up. The surprise shower was Monday afternoon and one was super surprised and emotional and the other was out sick.

Word had traveled that I've thrown showers at work before and so I was asked to assist planning and to make diaper cakes. I've tried to make each diaper cake different than the other. One of the ladies was having a boy and the other was having surprise twins. As soon as I looked up cool designs, I knew exactly what to make.

Look how awesome my diaper cakes came out! Everyone in the office was super impressed. Never did they expect their Finance contact to have a creative side. Occupations can be deceiving.
party with a view
One of my coworkers made these really pretty and tasty cupcakes as well.
rattle cupcakes
I can't take all the credit for the design of these diaper cakes. I'll be honest, I Google and YouTube everything. Both designs are from the same YouTube user, Thom's Crafts and Treats.
Wonka Nerds for our newest baby Nerds
If you wish to attempt making these, here's what you'll need:
Diaper Cake Carriage:
  • 82 diapers (I used size 2) 
  • 4 flannel receiving blankets
  • 1 baby blanket 30x40
  • 2 bibs
  • 2 wash cloths
  • 2 paper towel rolls
  • ribbon
  • rubber bands
  • stuffed animal (I used two to represent the twins)
  • flower clips or other decorative adds
  • {wrapped} foam board (to hold/carry the diaper cake on)


Diaper Cake Tricycle:

  • 40 diapers (used size 2)
  • 2 flannel receiving blankets
  • 2 wash cloths
  • 2 bibs
  • 2 pairs of socks
  • sippie cip
  • stuffed animal
  • rubber bands
  • ribbon
  • toilet paper roll
  • paper towel roll
  • 2 pipe cleaners
  • {wrapped} foam board (to hold/carry the diaper cake on)

Here's my diaper cake portfolio thus far.
#1 My very first diaper cake! Simple yet classic.
#2 This is what being given an open budget does to a diaper cake... jacked up with supplies.
#3 Finally a boy! Boys and their motorcycles.
Same motorcycle but with the Nesquik bunny at the BroShower Happy Hour at Golden Road Brewing
Funny how they were all made for the awesome people I work with. One day, I hope someone makes me one of these when I'm expecting.

The requests are already pouring for from other pregnant colleagues, ones who've recently had kids but didn't get a cake, and people who don't want kids but want me to design something similar without diapers. Strange. I think I set myself up for that additional madness.

Would you make a diaper cake for your mommy-to-be friend/colleague?


**Disclaimer: These cakes are not edible. They're just made of diapers.


No comments:

Post a Comment